IAEA Board of Governors Convenes
IAEA Board of Governors. (Photo: D. Calma/IAEA)
- Story Resources
- Videos: Excerpts from Director General Statement, 9 September 2013
- Fukushima Nuclear Accident
- Nuclear Energy
- Safeguards in DPRK
- Safeguards in Iran
- Audio: Director General Statement [.mp3]
- Photo Gallery: IAEA Board of Governors, 9 September 2013
- Director General Statement
- IAEA Board Report on Iran, 28 August 2013
- IAEA Board of Governors
- In Focus: IAEA Action Plan on Nuclear Safety
- Topics in Focus
The IAEA Board of Governors meets at the Agency's Headquarters in Vienna, Austria, on Monday, 9 September 2013.
IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano opened the meeting with an introductory statement. The full text of the statement can be accessed here.
During their week-long deliberations, the 35-Member State Board will discuss a number of issues, including measures to strengthen international cooperation in nuclear, radiation, transport and waste safety. The Board will also receive an update on implementation of the IAEA Action Plan on Nuclear Safety, review the Nuclear Security Report 2013 and will consider the Nuclear Security Plan for 2014-2017.
At this meeting, the Agency's activities related to nuclear science, technology and applications and nuclear verification matters will also be discussed.
Board deliberations are also expected on the application of safeguards in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the application of IAEA safeguards in the Middle East, as well as the implementation of the NPT safeguard agreements in the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Syrian Arab Republic, respectively.
- By Aabha Dixit, IAEA Division of Public Information
(Note to Media: We encourage you to republish these stories and kindly request attribution to the IAEA)