Board of Governors : Chair for 2007-2008
Mr. Milenko E. Skoknic, Ambassador and Resident Representative from Chile
The Chair of the Board of Governors for 2007–2008 is the Ambassador and Resident Representative of Chile, Mr. Milenko E. Skoknic. He succeeded the Governor of the Republic of Slovenia, Mr. Ernest Petrič.
Mr. Skoknic is the Permanent Representative of Chile to the United Nations at Vienna and Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Chile in Austria, a position he has held since 2005. He was also appointed as Non-Resident Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Chile to the Slovak Republic and Slovenia since 2006. In June 2003, he was appointed Ambassador and Executive Director of APEC CHILE 2004.
Mr. Skoknic obtained his elementary and high school education from Colegio La Salle in Santiago, Chile. In 1977, he completed his studies at the Law School of the Universidad de Chile. Mr. Skoknic then joined the Chilean Diplomatic Academy "Andrés Bello" in 1979 where he graduated with the Foreign Affairs Ministry Award as best student of the year. He later pursued post-graduate studies in Diplomacy and International Affairs at St. Anthony´s College, Oxford University from 1983-1984.
Mr. Skoknic vast experience in the fields of international diplomacy and foreign affairs include the following assignments:
- Minister Counselor, General Economic Directorate, FTAA and North America Department, (2001). Member of the USA-Chile Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiating team and Vice Chairman for FTAA (2002);
- Counselor and Consul General of Chile in Toronto and Commercial Attaché in Canada, 1997-2001;
- First Secretary - Head of the Law of the Sea Department, Special Policy Directorate, 1995-1996);
- Chile´s delegate to the Earth Summit on Environment and Development (Rio de Janeiro 1992) and the World Summit for Social Development (Copenhagen, 1995);
- Second Secretary, Member of Chile´s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York, 1993-1994. Secretary to Chile´s Embassy in Argentina 1990-1992; and
- Secretary to the Papal Mediation Office in Santiago (1981-1982) and the Holy See (1983-1984).
Furthermore, he has received various decorations, including: Commander of the Order of Saint Gregory the Great, awarded by the Holy See; Knight of the Order of Merit for Services to the Republic of Chile; and Diplomatic Merit Medal awarded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Mr. Skoknic also played in Chile´s National Basketball Team, adult and youth categories from 1971-1976. At present, he is seriously attempting to master the sport of golf. He is married to Colette Ramsey.